On 29.08.2011 14:03 Stathis Papaioannou said the following:
On 28/08/2011, at 11:21 PM, Craig Weinberg<whatsons...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Cells are not just physical and chemical. They are biological too.
That's what you're not seeing. There is a difference. There's
nothing magic about it, it's just that we have a skewed perspective
on it because the biological level gets closer to our own level, so
it seems less objective and mechanical to us. Subjectivity is
completely ordinary and concretely real, but it can only be
described in sensorimotive terms rather than the physical terms we
are used to, like mass, specific gravity, size, etc.

A molecule in a cell will behave exactly the same as a molecule
anywhere else in the universe. Do you believe otherwise? Do you have
any experimental evidence?

Here you first have to define what a molecule is. It happens to be tricky, as it is impossible to define a border between two molecules. After all the electron density is everywhere. How for example do you split it between two molecules?

You may be interested to look at Quantum Microbiology

http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2011/03/quantum-microbiology.html

In a way one can say that a cell is just one big molecule. Well, we have then the same problem to define a border between cells.

Yet in any case, an individual molecule in vacuum is quite different from the same molecule in a solution. And in different solutions the properties of the molecule will be also different.

Evgenii