On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

>> A molecule in a cell will behave exactly the same as a molecule
>> anywhere else in the universe. Do you believe otherwise? Do you have
>> any experimental evidence?
>
> Here you first have to define what a molecule is. It happens to be tricky,
> as it is impossible to define a border between two molecules. After all the
> electron density is everywhere. How for example do you split it between two
> molecules?
>
> You may be interested to look at Quantum Microbiology
>
> http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2011/03/quantum-microbiology.html
>
> In a way one can say that a cell is just one big molecule. Well, we have
> then the same problem to define a border between cells.

A reasonable point; but any arbitrary subset of a physical system will
still behave in accordance with the laws of physics as it interacts
with the rest of the system.

> Yet in any case, an individual molecule in vacuum is quite different from
> the same molecule in a solution. And in different solutions the properties
> of the molecule will be also different.

Of course, but a molecule subjected to the same conditions of
temperature, concentration, acidity etc. will behave in the same way
in a beaker as in a cell.

--
Stathis Papaioannou