Stephen:

2 corrections and a remark to my own text:

#1: I wrote: "*are those "laws' really so true, or only a (statistical)
deduction of data we so far happened to observe?"*
I would add: ...and explained according to THAT level of knowldge...

#2: I really believ that Descartes 'invented' and 'advertised' his "*
dualism"* to keep the soul figment of the faithful in his theory - in order
to escape the Inquisition. Spinozza was in a better position: he risked only
a 'shunning' from the Jewish community, what he got indeed.

About 'life'? biologists like to *"know it"(?)* within their conventional
'model' and the faithful withn their faith. Rosen's *M&R* *(metabolism and
repair)* describes the main (biologic) functions of whatever life may be,
leaving out the many times mentioned *reproduction*, (a term I deny in most
cases: nothing 'reproduces' exactly in a constantly chnging world, only in
the restricted views we observe) but the biologic heterosexuals are
definitely not reproducing: the offsprings are a melee of daddy an mommy
(mixed in DNA etc.) - repro of none. The prokaryotes "reproduce" in mitosis.
Even there the environmental changes may interfere: those ancient species
did not stay put either. So I 'generalize' *l i f e* into changes including
retrospective occurrences of parts in the continuing complexity line, called
reproduction.
(*Consciousness*, as I tried to describe many times, is in its present
formulation of mine: *Response to* *relations*.)
*((Relations*, however, is hard to identify, it may be much mopre than we
think about now. It is the 'cement' of the infinite complexity from which
our (and other) universe(s) broke off for a timeless re-dissipation.))

Respectfully

John