On Oct 1, 8:52 pm, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 5:35 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'm afraid the analogies you use don't help, at least for me. Does an
> >> ion channel ever open in the absence of an observable cause? It's a
> >> simple yes/no question. Whether consciousness is associated,
> >> supervenient, linked, provided by God or whatever is a separate
> >> question.
>
> > Observable by who?
>
> Observable by a third party.

Yes. If you only look at the ion channels of a neuron in someone's
amygdala without knowing what you are looking at or what the subject
is thinking about, then you are not going to know that the voltage is
changing because they are thinking of hitting a straight flush on the
river after going 'all in'. If you trace it back further, you will see
earlier voltage changes or depolarizations in cognitive areas, and
then in the audio sensory areas of the brain if the suggestion came as
a verbal instruction from a researcher. None of those changes in
different regions of the brain mean anything though except in
reference to the back end semantic understanding.

Craig

Craig