2011/10/28 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>

> On Oct 28, 8:10 am, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Let's say that I watch a football game on TV and describe what I see.
> > > Is there now a direct connection between my larynx and a football
> > > field somewhere? What is this connection made of? Is this the kind of
> > > purely semantic-philosophical 'connection' you are talking about being
> > > what connects the retina and larynx?
> >
> > There is a causal connection between your larynx and the football field,
> since what happens on the football field affects your larynx.
>
> Any such connection is one that is only inferred. What happens on the
> football field only affects your larynx if you decide to talk about
> it.
>
>  If it did not, you could not describe what happened on the football
> field. You cannot describe a football game if the light from it has
> not reached you, for example, since information cannot get to you
> faster than light.
>
> You could listen to it on the radio or read about it in the newspaper.
> You could invent an imaginary game and describe it in intricate
> detail.

> > > Because living cells must confront unanticipated and novel
> > > circumstances in their environment which cannot be determined, nor can
> > > the responses be determined in advance. Inorganic molecules don't care
> > > if they survive or not so their interactions are more deterministic
> > > and passive.
> >
> > The environment can provide a rich variety of inputs to an entity but
> that does not mean that the entity must be programmed to respond differently
> to every input.
>
> Then that means that it isn't deterministic.

It is. Every part of it is determined exactly from input + rules, what isn't
(from the point of view of the model) is the environment, that has been said
*from the beginning of the discussion*. We don't model the environment, and
we don't have to, since what we want is connect the model to the
environment, we don't want to model the universe *but a brain* (in the
though experiment)

> For example, a neuron may see see a concentration of dopamine
> molecules that varies over a trillionfold range, but it has only two
> certain threshold, don't if it isn't. The neuron does not know what
> the dopamine concentration is going to be ahead of time, but it looks
> at what it is and responds according to this algorithm.
>
> It has to be able to tell the difference between dopamine and every
> other molecule in the body first. It's outrageously simplistic to say
> that the neuron can only respond to this binary algorithm It's like
> saying that we can respond to our environment by living or dying.

You are beating around the bush... You do straw man arguments all the times.

"A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based
*on misrepresentation of an opponent's position*"