On 06 Feb 2012, at 16:54, John Clark wrote:

Well it had better be! If the outside world could be anything we wanted it to be then our senses would be of no value and Evolution would never have had a reason to develop them. In reality if we project our wishes on how we interpret the information from our senses too much our life expectancy will be very short; I don't like that saber toothed tiger over there so I'll think of him as a cute little bunny rabbit.

Hmm... If you succeed of thinking of the saber toothed tiger as a cute little bunny rabbit, your body will not send the fear chemicals needed by the tiger to trigger an attack response. The tiger might be very impressed, and think twice before eating you, even if hungry.

I agree with your reply with respect to Craig point, though. Logicians like to joke with not completely relevant counter-example.

More seriously, in the chinese room experience, Searle's error can be seen also as a confusion of level. If I can emulate Einstein brain, "I" can answer all question you ask to Einstein, but the trick is that I emulate Einstein himself, and I provide the answer that Einstein answers me (and I guess I will have to make some work to understand them, or not).

That is an interesting error, and I would not judge someone because he does an error (although I am not sure Searle recognizes it or understand it).

The confusion between provability and computability is of that type. RA (arithmetic without induction) can already simulate PA (arithmetic with induction), yet, like me simulating Einstein, RA remains unable to prove many theorems that PA can prove. For RA, proving that PA proves some proposition P might be much easier than proving P. RA can easily prove that PA and ZF prove the consistency of RA, but RA can hardly prove that. RA can emulate PA, ZF, you, and me. (in the comp theory). And this does not mean that RA will ever believe what PA, ZF, or you, or me might assert or believe.

Bruno

 John K Clark