On Feb 7, 3:08 pm, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/2/7 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>
>
> > On Feb 6, 11:30 am, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>
> > > More seriously, in the chinese room experience, Searle's error can be
> > > seen also as a confusion of level. If I can emulate Einstein brain,
> > > "I" can answer all question you ask to Einstein,
>
> > You're assuming that a brain can be emulated in the first place. If
> > that were true, there is no need to have the thought experiment.
>
> You're assuming that a brain can't be emulated in the first place. If that
> were true, there is no need to have the thought experiment.
>
> Stupid thought, stupid conclusion Craig Weinberg as usual.

I'm not assuming that it can't be emulated, I am only assuming an
appropriately skeptical stance - especially since brain emulation has
never occurred in reality. I say that it is not proven that brains can
be emulated, that's all. If the refutation of the Chinese Room is
contingent upon the assumption that brains can be emulated than it's a
religious faith.

My point is that the Chinese Room doesn't require a belief or
disbelief in brain emulation, it only demonstrates the difference
between trivial computation and personal understanding...something
which comp is in pathological denial of.

Craig