On 08.02.2012 22:44 Russell Standish said the following:
On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:32:16PM +0100, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

What I observe personally is that there is information in
informatics and information in physics (if we say that the
thermodynamic entropy is the information). If you would agree,
that these two informations are different, it would be fine with
me, I am flexible with definitions.

Yet, if I understand you correctly you mean that the information
in informatics and the thermodynamic entropy are the same. This
puzzles me as I believe that the same physical values should have
the same numerical values. Hence my wish to understand what you
mean. Unfortunately you do not want to disclose it, you do not want
to apply your theory to examples that I present.

Evgenii

Given the above paragraph, I would say we're closer than you've
previously intimated.

Of course there is information in informatics, and there is
information in physics, just as there's information in biology and
so on. These are all the same concept (logarithm of a probability).
Numerically, they differ, because the context differs in each
situation.

Entropy is related in a very simple way to information. S=S_max - I.
So provided an S_max exists (which it will any finite system), so
does entropy. In the example of a hard drive, the informatics S_max
is the capacity of the drive eg 100GB for a 100GB drive. If you
store 10GB of data on it, the entropy of the drive is 90GB. That's
it.

Just as information is context dependent, then so must entropy.

Thermodynamics is just one use (one context) of entropy and
information. Usually, the context is one of homogenous bulk
materials. If you decide to account for surface effects, you change
the context, and entropy should change accordingly.

Let me ask you the same question that I have recently asked Brent. Could you please tell me, the thermodynamic entropy of what is discussed in Jason's example below?

Evgenii