On 3/5/2012 9:34 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 04 Mar 2012, at 19:29, meekerdb wrote:

On 3/4/2012 12:15 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 04 Mar 2012, at 01:14, meekerdb wrote:

On 3/3/2012 12:43 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
comp can never be proved

Yes.

or disproved

False. By UDA.

so there is no point in worrying about it. I just assume it's true because I could not function otherwise

Which is a nonsense. Nobody use the hypothesis that the brain is a machine in their everyday life. If tomorrow comp is refuted, you will not feel a difference. Just that both matter and mind will be more mysterious.

In fact most people are unreflective dualists. They assume they have a magic soul so that if their brain were replaced by a computer 'they' would become a philosophical zombie while their 'real self' would be teletransported to heaven (or Platonia if they happen to be mathematicians :-) ).

Yes. I agree. Many people are instinctively skeptical for comp, unless they are molecular biologists. Note that this is already explained in the modal logic of self-reference: machine cannot know that they are machine, and they cannot believe it either. Comp is necessarily (provably) counter-intuitive. There is a natural tension between the hypostases S4Grz1 and G1, G1*, Z1*, X1*. The self-referentially correct machine cannot avoid a conflict between any third person account of itsel (G1) f, and its 1p "intuition" (S4Grz1).