On 07 Mar 2012, at 18:24, meekerdb wrote:

On 3/7/2012 5:03 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 06 Mar 2012, at 18:59, John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> God needs to be a person.

> In some tradition, and it is a mystery why you stick on those tradition, given that you criticize them so vigorously.

Because "God" is just a word

It is not *necessarily* just a word. There are common pattern in the use of that word.

But the common pattern is that "God" designates a person. Those who have used it to mean some pervasive force or impersonal ground of being have generally done so to avoid persecution for being a- theists. But I doubt that is a problem in Brussels.

Indeed. Some atheists persecutes or harass agnostic people, here. Since I used the word "theology" it is bit harder, because they pretend publicly to be open minded (which they are not). Some belongs to non transparent sort of sects.

and morons fools and some of the most evil people who have ever walked the Earth have mutilated that word far beyond any hope of repair.

That's your opinion.

Language evolves and like biological Evolution it almost never goes backwards and retraces it's steps, let me give a example: The word "gay" means happy and until just a few decades ago that's all it meant, but today if I use that word just to indicate that somebody is happy I am issuing a invitation to be misunderstood. I have a even better example, technically the word "pedophile" means a lover of children, well there is nothing wrong with that in fact it's a virtue, people should like children, but today it means more than that and its far too late for the word to be rehabilitated, so I would never dream of calling someone a "pedophile" unless I had rock solid evidence they were a monster. In the same way the word "God" has gone too far, it has much too much baggage to be rehabilitated now. So use another word, there are lots to choose from.

I follow often Plotinus, which "already" avoided bot the term "God" and the term "theology". I use "ONE" instead, and I have used the word "biology" and "psychology". But atheists (from some club) were not glad with the result, and critize the wholme field, so it motivated me to do the same thing than the student of Plotinus, to use the word that people use in the field. You make your point for everyday word like "gay" and "pedophile", but not for the technical field "theology".

I don't know of anyone besides you who considers "theology" a technical field or works in it as such. My dictionary of philosophy defines "theology" as "the study of God and God's relation to the world." It defines "God" as the "the highest ultimate being, assumed by theology on the basis of authority, revelation, or faith" [Dictionary of Philosophy, Dagobert Runes].

Good definition. They forget logic, though.

They also assume that we don't need faith to believe in a primary physical reality, which means that your dictionary take for granted Aristotle metaphysics. By not using the word theology, when doing theology, I would become an accomplice of those who, by mocking the field, let it in the hands of the political authorities, including the atheists one, which are less transparant.

I might be a neoplatonist believer, Brent, or a neoneoplatonist believer, where neoneoplatonism is neoplatonism reconsidered through comp and Church thesis. Plotinus chapter on "Number" announces already that type of move, like Proclos' notion of henads.

> some, like Richard Dawkins presents science as if it was a sort of alternative, which makes science into pseudo-science

I have no idea what your complaint with Richard Dawkins is, I've read all his books and think he's terrific.

My problem with people like Dawkins and Stenger, which I have read more recently, is that they oppose science to theology, but by doing that they avoid the theological question, which means that it is the field, and not the word, which makes problem fro them. It shows also that they have (unconscious, perhaps) theological interpretation of their field. For example, they never say that they *assume* the existence of a primary physical universe, they dismiss the mind-body problem, they dismiss the mind problem, and the body problem.

There is some truth in that. Stenger sometimes muses that maybe consciousness doesn't really exist -

Brr...

and I think he is motivated to consider this because it's hard to fit into his preferred model of "atoms and the void".

Yes, that the problem with the physicalists. They hide or minimize data since 1500 years, when they don't fit with their intimate religious, I mean pseudo-religious, convictions.

They talk like if science as decided between Aristotle and Plato kind of theology. This is just arrogant. in fact, books like Stenger's and Dawkins' one, fuel not just the pseudo-religion, but its naive and fundamentalist components.

I don't know Dawkins, but I do know Vic Stenger and have helped edit his books, so I will come to his defense. Vic is quiet explicit about what God he argues against: "In the present book I will go much further and argue that by this moment in time science has advanced sufficiently to be able to make a definitive statement on the existence or non-existence of a God having the attributes that are traditionally associated with the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God." [God the Failed Hypothesis, Stenger 2007]

Science cannot make statements about what exist and what does not exist, still less definitive statements. I might accept a work comparing two theologies, like aristotelian physicalism and platonist mathematicalism, not a work comparing and opposing science with theology, because that hides the fact that theology was, and can be again, a science. It is just a question of modest attitude, curiosity, and attempt toward clarity.

They makes people believe that the debate is between atheism and religion,

No, it's between atheism and theism. Religion is too broad and ill- defined to debate.

I am OK with this. I feel to be near Plotinus who was rather cold about theurgy. His student introduced theurgy but it seems to me this was a move to gain some mass popularity against the rapidly growing influence of the Christians. Before Roma.

But, like Plotinus, I don't condamn it. It might have a social role, and would the greek introduced this at the start, they might have been more prepared to resist against the use of authoritative argument. But they could have also fall in the theological trap of bringing themselves such type of argument (or letting other do that). So I don't know yet what to think about this.

but they agree on the theological main point,

I don't think so. Dawkins has said that theology is a discipline with no subject matter.

And not Stenger? Once you said that God is a failed hypothesis, like he says in the subtitle of his book, and once you agree that theology is the science of God(s), then you don't leave much place for the subject matter.

and hides the more serious question of choosing between Plato's theology and Aristotle one. Not only atheists do theology, but they defend the same theology as their opponents, except on the superstition.

Refer to the definition above. God is superstition and He is the subject matter of theology.

In our culture. For political reason.

My work did annoy some fundamentalist atheists nearby, well before I use the term "theology".

Why?

Because they are dogmatic believer in Aristotle primary matter.
They don't allow any doubt on the subject.

It is more because I have problem with atheists that I use that term than the contrary.

So you agree it is misleading that is why you use it!?

No, because before people understand the work, they confuse it with atheism. Mechanism is the traditional mind theory of the materialist, and they can take a long time to get the point that I try to explain (at least), that is, that mechanism and materialism are not compatible. By saying at once "machine's theology", things are definitely clearer, and this prevents the main surprises in the reasoning process.

many people who believe they were atheists understood better they were not atheists but agnostic. This helps a lot.

It depends on that god(s) your talking about. I used to tell everyone I was an agnostic because I could think of gods that might exist. But this caused trouble because they always assumed I was agnostic about their God, a magical father figure. So I started telling people I was an atheist, except in philosophical debates where "god" could be defined.

If you accept it in philosophical debate, why not accept it even more in technical scientific research. It makes even more sense when you see that science can bring back the original notion of God or the greek: the truth we bet on and research .

To understand the mind-body problem it is necessary to be agnostic on both the first and the third Aristotelian Gods (the Initiator, and Matter). Also, it is by reading good books in Theology, that I made sense of what the ideally correct universal machine explains already about itself, like the book by Jean Trouillard "L'Un et l'âme selon Proclos" (the ONE and the Soul according to Proclos). I read Proclos' treatise on theology before reading Plotinus.

In fact, almost all so called atheist, become agnostic, or realized they were agnostic, when understanding that with comp the mind body problem is a scientific problem. We just don't know the answer, and atheists are often dishonest by pretending that science is on their side.

Or they may just have a different meaning of "theism" than you - the one that's in all the dictionaries.

To be in a dictionary is relative to culture, and constitute a sort of argument per authority. That might only reflect a trend, which is the one I deplore, and which is the one which perpetuates the lack of rigor in the fundamental science. Honest scientists just don't know, and before we get a solution of the mind-body problem, it is simpler and less damaging to use the words in their largest sense possible, and not in the sense imposed by politicians (like the pope) since a very long time.

Stenger and Dawkins are right in their critics of the naive answer to some deep question, but why to abandon the questions?