On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM, acw <a...@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On 3/11/2012 21:44, R AM wrote:
>

>> However, I think that if comp is true, future experience is not only
>> indeterminate, but also arbitrary: our future experience could be anything
>> at all. But given that this is not the case, shouldn't we conclude that
>> comp is false?
>>
> You're basically presenting the "White Rabbit" problem here. I used to
> wonder if that is indeed the case, but after considering it further, it
> doesn't seem to be: your 1p is identified with some particular abstract
> machine - that part is mostly determinate and deterministic (or
> quasi-deterministic if you allow some leeway as to what constitutes persona
> identity) in its behavior, but below that substitution level, anything can
> change, as long as that machine is implemented correctly/consistently.

Not sure if I understand you ... I was thinking of something like this: if
comp is true, then we can upload the mind into a computer and simulate the
environment. The simulator could be constructed so that the stimuli given
to the mind is a sequence of arbitrary "white rabbits". Is there somehing
in comp that makes the existence of such "evil" simulators unlikely?

Ricardo.