On 12 Mar 2012, at 21:21, meekerdb wrote (to Stepehen King):

Stephen King:
One thing that I have found in the last few days is that it is impossible to define the computational operations of deleting, copying and pasting onto/into topological manifolds unless one is willing to give up the invariance of genus and Betti numbering. Cutting and pasting seem to be absolutely necessary operations of computation

Why do you say that? Quantum computers don't duplicate and don't erase.

Well, quantum computer can still duplicate classical information.
I could say more if your remember the combinators. They can be used to show that without duplication and erasing you lost Turing universality. You can recover it by allowing a minimal amount of duplication, which does not mean that you can duplicate anything.