On 7 May 2012 22:27, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Do you want to explain - and I'm well aware that 'revolves around' is
> relative to coordinate frames.  But you know that Bellarme was not equating
> relativism of orbital motion with relativism about the virgin birth.

The Cardinal stated ""To assert that the earth revolves around the sun
is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."

Well, if you concur with the following two statements (as I presume you do):

(1) The earth revolves around the sun.

(2) Jesus was not born of a virgin.

It follows that statement (1) is precisely as erroneous as statement
(2) - i.e. not at all. So he was perfectly correct in his assertion!
I wonder if he was hedging his bets?

David