On May 7, 5:10 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> First, nobody cares if you believe it, even if you're a physics graduate
> >> student.  Second,
> >> it's just a model and physicists everywhere are trying to invent a better
> >> one.  Third,
> >> it's a model that has been tested and found to work.
> > I do believe it, at least as a spatial representation of what matter
> > does or is at that level of microcosm.
>
> But are you going to keep the faith when string theory comes up with a
> different model?

Why wouldn't I? I have faith in classical mechanics as valid theory at
that level of description.

> > My personal conjecture is that
> > there is a progression from literal architecture to figurative
> > phenomenology the further you go into the microcosmic scale, but
> > that's beside the point. I was pointing quarks out as an example of
> > how physics is ok with a 1=3 logic.
>
> I know, but it's a poor analogy.  It's not 1=3 logic.  Many things are made
> of three other
> things, as a proton is made of to Ups and a Down quark which can be separated
> - but only
> by making more quarks.  But that's not the same as "Three divine persons
> constitute one
> person who is God."

It's not exactly the same but it's not far off. It still implies that
there is a sense that the proton is both three things and one thing.
If you explained both concepts side by side to an isolated tribe in
New Guinea I think they would have no trouble seeing the analogy as
strong.

> > I'm not anti science, and I'm
> > certainly not pro religion, but I am anti Manicheanism.
>
> You're against a good/evil dualism, where matter is evil and mind is good?

Yes. I am against a pathological excess of investment in either mind
or matter, but even that excess is not entirely evil or good.

Craig