On Jun 6, 1:48 pm, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

There is no meaningful difference between will and free will. Adding
'free' only emphasizes that the intention is your own and not
compelled by circumstances beyond your control. All will implies the
capacity to intentionally control, which is not logically consistent
with 100% determinism. If a rolling stone needs no experience of will
to decide which way it will roll, then a person needs no such
experience to function mechanically.

> > > Punishment only works if something 1. cares whether or not it's
> > experience is unpleasant
>
> Yes.
>
> > 2. has causally efficacious motive to alter their behavior,
>
>                  ^^^^^^^^
> No, although if the criminal's actions are not causal, if they are random,
> then the range of potential punishments that are effective becomes much
> more limited.  However be the criminal random or causal a bullet in the
> brain will most certainly alter their behavior, and sometimes for the
> better.

Execution is not intended to alter the behavior of the prisoner. In
order for us to have an expectation that the threat of execution could
be a deterrent, we have to have an expectation that potential
criminals have enough control over their own actions that that they
will voluntarily choose to avoid it. We do not think that a deterrent
is the same thing as a guarantee that crime cannot occur - in fact,
the effectiveness of punishment as a deterrent is variable. It's up to
the individuals, at least some individuals some of the time, to some
extent or another, to determine for themselves whether they are
deterred.

Craig