On Sat, Jun 2, 2012  Brian Tenneson <tenn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The capacity (which can be defined) of an agent (which can be defined) to
> be able (which can be defined) to choose (which can be defined)

If it can be done then do so!  Explain "choose" in a way that shows it is
not deterministic and also not random, find a way to say that a choice did
not happen for a reason and did not happen for no reason, and do so in a
way that is not embarrassingly self contradictory. Do that and you have won
the argument.

> when (which can be defined)  presented (which can be defined)

By the way, "defined" can't be defined unless you already know what
"defined" means, that's why examples are more important than definitions;
so if a definition is too hard for you just give me examples of things that
can make choices  and things that can't, but be prepared to defend your
reasoning (a deterministic process) why they are in one category and not
the other.

> > with a choice (which can be defined). Certainly not meaningless.

The word "choice" is perfectly respectable, I use it myself, but you are a
fan of the "free will" noise so I would bet money that any definition you
give of it will be self-contradictory or circular or both.

  John K Clark