There is something deeply religious in many scientifics in his quest to
expand their Truth. And there is also something very philosophical indeed.
But they ignore both. They ignore their beliefs and their positivistic
metaphisics, born in the disputes between nominalists and realists during
the middle ages. And there is no stronger faith than the faith that see
himself as aboslute truth about everithing, that ignores its shorcomings
and its history, and that show contempt or even denial of entire parts of
the reality.

This furious  scientist proselitism us understandable and it is
even healthy, because the idea of a objective scientist with no emotions
is hypocrite.

That shows once again that faith is something a society can not live
without,. because faith in ultimate, unexplained truths is the prerequisite
for any coordinated social action. And the truths upon which a society
build itself is its most valuable treasure.

This seems of topic, but I suggest something to discuss here: shared human
conscience. We live in a shared virtual conscience. It is shared because we
share the context and it is virtual because it depends in the context of
shared beliefs: beliefs in the myths and histories that created our
country, beliefs in some moral laws, beliefs in the prestige of some
special humans: priests, scientifics, political figures of the past and the
present.   We can not verify our beliefs because we have no time and no
knowledge to do so. So we resort to faith. faith in authority: being
scientific, political or anything. common faith and legitimated authority
is necessary to live with others and thus whenever a society is build, it
needs it.

And the assault of the foundational social truths and the core beliefs of
the people is central for any battle for power

Do the  hawking Theory of everything says something about this? I´m soure,
because it is about everyhing, Isn´t?