On 11 Jul 2012, at 19:36, John Clark wrote:

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

> In Germany theology still belongs to universities. What I like is that you will find as a department of theoretical theology as well as a department of practical theology.

I disagree, I don't like it. You are assuming that there exists a organized field of knowledge called "theology", but I can not find the slightest evidence that is in fact true. Lawrence Krauss said that it is his habit to ask every theologian he meets "what advances in theology have been made in the last 400 years?",

You are wrong. There has been constant progress. The number of burning witches has decreased. Also, now when a child is molested by a member of the clergy there is some hope for him to be listen.

A better question would be what advances in theology have been made in the last 10.000 years, the answer, I could argue, would be science, music, and probably many ways to get altered conscious state, and science does include a part of theology among the inquirers.

You can't reject theology.
You can only reject *a* theology.
To reject *all* theologies, you need *a* theology.

but he has never received a straight answer from a single one of them, the best he has gotten was "what do you mean by advances?". A expert in mathematics or physics or biology or literature or ANY other field would not give a weasel answer like that, they'd just rattle off a list of advances, but not theology. He also said he was on a panel at a college and somebody asked another scientist there why there is something rather than nothing and the scientist said "that's a question to ask the head of the theology department not me", but Krauss said "why ask him rather than the college gardener or plumber or cook?". I have no answer to Krauss's question because like him I think that where theology is concerned there is no expertise and no field.

That is not entirely true, at many levels. But it is more a consequence of or lack of seriousness in the field, and the difficulty due to the emotional way humans can react on such matter.

An example of non seriousness in theology is the common belief that science has decided between Aristotle's and Plato's conceptions of reality. We are just very ignorant on that, but we can suggest hypotheses and do reasoning.