On 7/12/2012 1:08 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
<mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:

    > To reject *all* theologies, you need *a* theology.

Like "God" this is a example is somebody willing to abandon a idea but not a word; so "God" becomes "something more powerful than yourself" and now "theology" becomes "any field of study you think is important". If you unilaterally decree that words mean whatever you want them to mean then garbled communication is inevitable.

 John K Clark

I thought I would test Bruno's idea that theology is the study of what is fundamental. In the Scottish Journal of Theology archives, which go back to 1899, a search for articles in which the word "fundamental" appears in the abstract or title, turns up one:

The Fundamental Shape of Old Testament Ethics (1971)

Search on "ontolog" produces two

A Trinitarian Ontology of Persons in Society (1994)

The Ontology of Tillih and Biblical Personalism (1962)