On 09 Jul 2012, at 19:52, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

On 07 Jul 2012, at 15:31, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

My comments to Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard
Mlodinow, especially to the statement from the book

“Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy
is dead. Philosophy has not kept up with modern developments in
science, particularly physics. Scientists have become the bearers
of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge.”

http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2012/07/philosophy-is-dead.html

I am not so much in favor of "professional philosophers", which does
not mean that some of them do good ... science (like Maudlin, Slezak,
even McGuin: it is real reasoning).

I find philosophy useful as a database of different way of thinking. It helps not to invent a bicycle again.

In many universities, philosophy is literature. When done modestly it can be very interesting. But this can also be used to make, not literature, but series of arguments from authority considered as answering all questions and thinking at our place.

In my youth philosophy was marxism, not presented as a theory (hypothesis) but as the only right solution to all problems, and you were treated as crackpot if you dare to have a slight air of skepticism about that. It was "religion" in the pejorative sense of the word.

The word "philosophy" is just not well defined as a field. It looks often just like a boundary inviting you to abandon critical thinking and the scientific attitude (modesty with respect to the truth we search) and it leads to idolatry with respect to person, and dismissing with respect to ideas.

The whole of the human sciences is perverted since theology get out of the academy. Philosophy is often just a "religious" reaction to institutionalized "religion". God id dead, said Nietzsche, so ... what do we do?

Bruno

Evgenii