From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-22, 07:19:12
Subject: Re: Reconciling Bruno's Primitives with Multisense

Here's my post for this morning. I think it relates:

God and The Gaps

If existence is physical reality, then God doesn? exist. In fact, it could be
said that it is the absence of God which allows anything to exist. Said another
way, it is the unreality of the totality which maintains the conditions of real
(bounded, conditional, consequential) existence. Mortality is the masking of
immortal boundarylessness. A kind of cage or lattice for what insists beyond
all sequence or consequence. Only because on any ultimate level of description
of the universe, there is nothing there to constitute a boundary. There can? be
a boundary, because then it too would be the universe. Whether it? the laws
that make the laws that make the laws of mathematics that make the laws of
physics that make the superstrings that make the quantum, or just the limits of
our own imagination, on some level, there is an everything, and that everything
can be considered to be, in one and only one sense, one and only one thing - a
source of signal/order/sense/experience. The singularity of totality.
Existence is a combination of signal and noise. The further in space we get
from our own signal, the more we lose reception and the less signal we
encounter in relation to noise and space. This loss of reception is true across
literal distance as well as metaphorical distance. The more unfamiliar the
territory, the less we can relate. As scales get infinitesimal or immense, we
objectify and mechanize to reflect the disjunction to our own subjective
anchoring of perception.
Space is entropy. In both the thermodynamic sense and the information sense,
space is the every gap between signals that contains only the possibility of
signal detection. In the void between our body and its surroundings, there is
?othing there? to respond to us on a human level, or a biochemical level, or a
physical level. To us a room full of hydrogen gas is an empty space. To
hydrogen however, maybe the only empty space is the flux between near
collisions - moments of virtual decoherence which define a gaseous state (as
opposed to a Bose-Einstein condensate approaching absolute zero). What I am
calling virtual decoherence, I think, can be better understood as sense. A
pantomime of universal expectation that is empirical - it develops within
experience. It makes sure that the expected keeps happening and the unexpected
stands out. Momentum-inertia, probability, and significance.
If there were a God, he-she-it-we-they would be zero entropy. Zero space. Zero
space but all time. Almost all time. Almost no space. Almost no entropy. Almost
pure signal. Because the capacity to generate signal in any sense at all is
power and knowledge, and power and knowledge are relative. Relative in the
sense that ?n the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king?, but also in the
sense that knowledge itself is relation, and power is the ability to relate
knowledge to the self.
One signal in an empty universe is all it takes to define omnipotence and
omniscience relative to the emptiness of noise. Once a signal pretends to
exist, there is nowhere to put it. It has no entropy - no space in which to
exist as an object, so it insists, as a becoming of its own absence. This is
the single self-subdividing event that turns eternity into an infinite now
(pretending to be history).
If there were a God, it would be all of us put together. The everythingness
behind the nothingness behind every nested multiplicity of almost
somethingness. No space, no noise, no distance - only infinite significance
becoming more significant. Infinite because by definition it is the only game
in town. More significance through the paradox of self-insignificance. Being
humbled makes us great. A great big pile of crap. Decaying broken forms
pretending to be whole and beautiful and perfect to each other for a season.
For every season, over and over. It? only the greatness however, the underlying
potential wholeness, beauty and perfection that needs to pretend it is
pretending though. The whips and scorns of time form the perfectly imperfect
frame for eternity. A pecking order of gravity to squeeze the life out of us,
crushing our unreal wilderness of warm soft fiction with the shadows of cold
hard facts.
What exists to us is almost almost infinite noise across almost infinite
distance, except for a sand-clock trickle of ?ow? which contains all of the
signals that can be squeezed together yet still be held distinct from each
other. What exists is 99.99?9% entropy because what insists is 0.00?1% entropy.
A distanceless ?ere? that has nowhere else to be, perpetually spinning the
universe around it, over and over. Almost all time (every time except now),
almost no space (nowhere except here).