Hi Roger,

I think of number as the conceptual continuity between the behaviors of
physical things - whether it is the interior view of things as experiences
through time or the exterior view of experiences as things. Numbers don't
fly by in a computation, that's a cartoon. All that happens is that
something which is much smaller and faster than we are, like a
semiconductor or neuron, is doing some repetitive, sensorimotive behavior
which tickles our own sense and motive in a way that we can understand and
control. Computation doesn't exist independently as an operation in space,
it is a common sense of matter, just as we are - but one does not reduce to
the other. Feeling, emotion, and thought does not have to be made of
computations, they can be other forms of sensible expression. Counting is
one of the things that we, and most everything can do in one way or
another, but nothing can turn numbers into anything other than more numbers
except non-numerical sense.

Craig