Hi Craig Weinberg

There are some descriptive theories of music but no prescriptive theories.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/20/2012

From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-19, 13:56:06
Subject: Re: music on my mind

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:41:33 PM UTC-4, Platonist Guitar Cowboy
wrote:

I am not saying arithmetic = music; I have no idea about that, just that the
two can't do without each other.

I think that is true of any form of expression or communication, since the
formations which are used to induce the experiences (of music, art, poetry,
etc) in the audience are constructed from material manipulations in spacetime.
Anytime something has to be expressed externally, it has to be packaged with
arithmetically coherent protocols. That doesn't of course mean that music "is"
those protocols, only that any production of music can be analyzed
arithmetically. Without an experience of sound associated with the arithmetic,
there is nothing but a conceptual sculpture of abstraction.

Craig