From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-24, 09:08:03
Subject: Re: On Causation with Mind and brain as apples and oranges

On 9/24/2012 8:12 AM, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Stephen P. King

I have trouble conceiving an isomorphism (or anything comparative) between
something that is there and something that is not. The something
that is not there is not the absence of the thing that was,
since it has no shape, no location, and cannot be found by a physical
search.

Hi Roger,

    I sympathize with you but must point out that one must be sure that one's
idea and assumptions are correct. What I am proposing is that that Minds are,
at the lowest level, a relational structure that can be well represented by
Boolean Algebras. There is a duality between BAs and a type of topological
space:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone%27s_representation_theorem_for_Boolean_algebras

"Each Boolean algebra B has an associated topological space, denoted here S(B),
called its Stone space. The points in S(B) are theultrafilters on B, or
equivalently the homomorphisms from B to the two-element Boolean algebra. The
topology on S(B) is generated by a basis consisting of all sets of the form
 where b is an element of B.
For any Boolean algebra B, S(B) is a compact totally disconnected Hausdorff
space; such spaces are called Stone spaces (also profinite spaces). Conversely,
given any topological space X, the collection of subsets of X that are clopen
(both closed and open) is a Boolean algebra."

     This made complete sense to me once I realized what the Stone spaces "look
like": a collection of particles in an emptiness (frozen in time). (A Cantor
dust is a Stone space.) A nice illustration of the physical universe once we
strip away of the detail. When we take change into account we get a succession
of Stone spaces and BAs. The direction of the "arrows" of evolution of these
are in opposite directions. BAs evolve by "looking backwards" to be sure no new
proposition contradicts a previously accepted proposition. This property alone
makes this hypothesis very appealing as it leads naturally to a reason why
there are no "White Rabbits" (spontaneous events that present contradictory
information, like a "White Rabbit" popping out of nowhere).

--
Onward!

Stephen