From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-22, 16:03:48
Subject: Re: On Causation with Mind and brain as apples and oranges

On 9/22/2012 6:11 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
> Hi Craig Weinberg
>
> OK that's the classic example of the pin prick and feeling pain.
>
> It works for the worlds of apples and oranges if you accept
> Hume's and Leibniz's theory of causation, or at least my understanding of it,
> namely that changes in the mental world are simply synchronized
> with changes in the physical world and vice versa.

  Dear Roger,

      The relation between the extended and non-extended is immediate
and thus must be some form of isomorphism. I porpose the Stone Duality
to be a valid and faithful representation of this isomorphism, following
the suggestion by Pratt.
     The "coordination" of events of the body and states of the mind are
successive alignments that we can either case into a global explanatory
scheme, such as a PEN, or we can assume some Humean classical model.
Perhaps both Hume and Leibniz where looking at the problem from opposite
sides of a spectrum and each only seeing the pole. If We start with the
consistent idea of a monad, as defined, and then consider what it means
to have a coordination between the extended and non-extended aspects, we
notice that these can be recast into an "inside" v. "outside" relation.

     It was Descartes that failed to see that the problem is not
explanation of the interaction between the mental and the physical, it
is the problem of explanation of how bodies (minds) interact with other
bodies (minds). Bruno has shown that it is possible to almost completely
capture the relational scheme needed for minds within a framework of
modal logic. He shows that all that is left is the explanation of what
is a body. Newton et al, have given us a wonderful account of the
schemata of the body but left unresolved the nature and necessity of the
mind. What if both of these schemata are just restatements of the
Polarity between what Leibniz and Hume considered as a problem of causality?

> Given that, to see if an action is "caused" either by mental or physical
> powers you simply look at the near-future mental
> or physical situation. Monads allow you to do that.

     Don't conflate them. Think of the "causality " of each as
contravariant, as "going in opposite directions". Monads can solve this
if we understand that they have dual aspects. Mental aspects are such
that their causation is "logical entailment" and this "looks back onto
precedent" so as to not allow any state that would contradict any
previous state. Physical aspects are causal in the usual understood
sense of events causing other events in a temporal progression.

> In that future state both the mental and physical situations
> will have changed.

     No! That would allow contradictions, and thus "White Rabbits", to
occur. The key is to understand that we cannot assume a global
arrangement that imposes a ordering on the Many, ala a Pre-Established
Harmony. We have to allow for novelty and choice. We can achieve this in
an explanation, but we need to consider that we are, at the end of the
day, considering finite worlds that have bounding horizons.

> And anything changed can be considered
> as being caused. That's the principle of sufficient reason.

     We agree. but all of the Principles must be applicable. We cannot
cherry pick the applications of the Principles. There is the Identity of
Indiscernibles to consider, and others...

--
Onward!

Stephen