On 26 Sep 2012, at 19:37, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:45:09 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 25 Sep 2012, at 19:03, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:43:29 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 25 Sep 2012, at 05:45, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Jason Resch <jason...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Pain is anything but epiphenomenal.  The fact that someone is able
>> to talk about it rules out it being an epiphenomenon.
>
> The behaviour - talking about the pain - could be explained entirely
> as a sequence of physical events, without any hint of underlying
> qualia.

With comp a physical events is explained in term of measure and
machine/number relative consciousness selection (à la WM-duplication
way).
Physics is phenomenal. It is an internal consciousness selection made
on coherent computations (arithmetical relations).
We can't explain physics without a theory of quanta, which, in comp,
is a sub-theory of a theory of consciousness/qualia.

Consciousness is not epiphenomenal: it is the "extractor" of the
physical realities in arithmetic. We could say that consciousness is
the universal self-accelerating property of the universal number which
makes possible the differentiation of the experience, and then the
physical reality is a projection. I could consider consciousness as
the main "force" in the universe, even if it is also a phenomenal
reality (the ontology being only arithmetic, or finite combinatorial
relations).

We are on the same page here then. My only question is, if consciousness is the main "force" in the universe, doesn't it make more sense to see arithmetic as the "condenser" of experiences into physical realism?

It makes sense once we assume comp, as we attach consciousness to computations, whose existence is guarantied by arithmetic.

Are you saying that arithmetic guarantees consciousness because it obviously supervenes on awareness, or do you say that consciousness is specifically inevitable from arithmetic truth.

Consciousness is specifically inevitable from arithmetic truth, "seen from inside".

If the latter, then it sounds like you are saying that some arithmetic functions can only be expressed as pain or blue...

No. You confuse "Turing emulable", and "first person indeterminacy recoverable". Pain and blue have no arithmetical representations.

in which case, how are they really arithmetic.

They are not. Arithmetical truth is already not arithmetical.
Arithmetic seen from inside is *vastly* bigger than arithmetic. This needs a bit of "model theory" to be explained formally.

Besides, we have never seen a computation turn blue or create blueness.

It would not lake sense to "see" that. Brain and electromagnetic fields or any 3p notion cannot turn blue. "Blue" is a singular informative global experienced by first person.

I can easily see why experience would need semiotic compressions to organize itself, but I can see no reason that arithmetic or physical realities would possibly need to be 'extracted', or even what that would mean.

This is what the Universal Dovetailer Argument explains.

If it does, then I don't understand it. If you can explain it with a common sense example as a metaphor, then I might be able to get more of it.

Did you understand the first person indeterminacy? Tell me if you understand the seven first steps of the UDA, in
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html

Why execute a program if all possible outcomes are already computable?

To be computable is not enough, if the computations are not done, relatively to the situation you are in. Your question is like "why should I pay this beer if I can show that I can pay it?".

Yes, why should I pay for the beer if it's arithmetically inevitable that I have paid for the beer in the future?

It is not arithmetically inevitable. In some stories you don't pay. Comp, like QM, leads to a continuum of futures, and your decisions and acts "here-and-now" determine the general features of your normal (majority) futures. That is why life and discussion forums have some sense.