On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:10:37 PM UTC-4, stathisp wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > But you don't need a living cell to transmit a signal. That is my point.
>> > Why
>> > have a cell?
>>
>> There are cells because that's the way organisms evolved. If there
>> were a way of evolving computer hardware and this was adaptive then
>> there would be organisms with computer hardware. It's not impossible
>> that somewhere in the universe there are naturally evolved organisms
>> utilising batteries, conductors and logic gates.
>>

> It's not reasonable to say on one hand that there is no significant
> difference between solid state electronics and living organisms and on the
> other to blithely accept that not one of the millions of species on Earth
> have happened to mutate even a single solid state inorganic appendage. You
> claim it's not impossible, but the evidence that we have in reality does not
> support that assumption in the least. To the contrary, living organisms are
> dependent on organic matter to even survive. As far as I know, we don't even
> see a single individual organism in the history of the world that
> predominately eats, drinks, or breathes inorganic matter. You are saying
> that is, what...coincidence?

Well, almost every organism predominantly made of, drinks and breathes
inorganic matter, since water and oxygen are inorganic matter. But
leaving that obvious fact aside, the other obvious fact is that
evolution has used organic chemistry to make self-replicators because
that was the easiest way to do it. Do you imagine that if it were easy
to evolve steel claws which helped predators catch prey that steel
claws would not have evolved? What would have prevented their
evolution, divine intervention?

--
Stathis Papaioannou