On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 1:49 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But
>> leaving that obvious fact aside, the other obvious fact is that
>> evolution has used organic chemistry to make self-replicators because
>> that was the easiest way to do it. Do you imagine that if it were easy
>> to evolve steel claws which helped predators catch prey that steel
>> claws would not have evolved? What would have prevented their
>> evolution, divine intervention?
> You are assuming that there are other options though. Maybe there are, but
> we don't know that for sure yet. If there were, it seems like there would be
> either multiple kinds of biology in the history of the world, or individual
> species which have mutated to exploit the variety of inorganic compounds in
> the universe available. What prevented their evolution is the same thing
> that creates thermodynamic irreversibility out of reversible quantum wave
> functions. The universe is an event, not a machine. When something happens,
> the whole universe is changed, and maybe that change becomes the active
> arrow of qualitative progress. Organic chemistry got there first, therefore
> that door may be closed - unless we, as biological agents, open a new one.

Iron is already present in haemoglobin and myoglobin. For that matter,
silicon may also be an essential micronutrient for bone health
What prevents these elements from being utilised in a different way?
Would it disprove your entire theory if we found an animal living in
some forgotten hole that had steel claws?

Stathis Papaioannou