On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 1:49 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But
>> leaving that obvious fact aside, the other obvious fact is that
>> evolution has used organic chemistry to make self-replicators because
>> that was the easiest way to do it. Do you imagine that if it were easy
>> to evolve steel claws which helped predators catch prey that steel
>> claws would not have evolved? What would have prevented their
>> evolution, divine intervention?
>

> You are assuming that there are other options though. Maybe there are, but
> we don't know that for sure yet. If there were, it seems like there would be
> either multiple kinds of biology in the history of the world, or individual
> species which have mutated to exploit the variety of inorganic compounds in
> the universe available. What prevented their evolution is the same thing
> that creates thermodynamic irreversibility out of reversible quantum wave
> functions. The universe is an event, not a machine. When something happens,
> the whole universe is changed, and maybe that change becomes the active
> arrow of qualitative progress. Organic chemistry got there first, therefore
> that door may be closed - unless we, as biological agents, open a new one.

Iron is already present in haemoglobin and myoglobin. For that matter,
silicon may also be an essential micronutrient for bone health
(http://www.spritzer.com.my/WebLITE/Applications/news/uploaded/docs/Dietary%20Silicon%202004.pdf).
What prevents these elements from being utilised in a different way?
Would it disprove your entire theory if we found an animal living in
some forgotten hole that had steel claws?

--
Stathis Papaioannou