On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net>wrote:

> [...]
> stage,
> we can still escape the conclusion of the seven preceding reasoning steps,
> by
> postulating that a ‘‘physical universe’’ really ‘‘exists’’ and is too
> little in the sense of not being
> able to generate the entire UD*, nor any reasonable portions of it, so
> that our usual physical
> predictions would be safe from any interference with its UD-generated
> ‘‘little’’ computational
> histories."
>
>     Here you seem to only consider a "physical universe" to be an entity
> that "exists" with no observers associated with it and reason that such is
> an irrelevant concept that can and should be dismissed from consideration.
> I am OK with that! I define a "physical universe" differently! (see above)
> I am only asking for a weaker version of a "physical universe" to exist;
> one that is not ontologically primitive, but to demand this is to also
> demand that arithmetics and numbers are not ontologically primitive as
> well. Both abstractions, such as numbers and their truths, and physical
> worlds must emerge together from a primitive ground which is neutral in
> that it has no innate properties at all other that necessary possibility.
> It merely exists.
>
> from your paper:
>
> "It  will  follow  that  a  much  weaker and usual form of Ockham’s razor
> can be used to conclude that not only physics has
> been  epistemologically reduced  to  machine  psychology, but that
> ‘‘matter’’ has  been
> ontologically reduced to ‘‘mind’’ where mind is defined  as the object
> study of fundamental
> machine psychology."
>
>     But "physics" =/= "physical world". Here is where we diverge in our
> agreement! Physics is behavior not "being". Matter =/= "physical world".
> Matter is the spatial aspect of sets, once we remove all of the
> contingencies of physics explanations. You are claiming to "reduce" matter
> (Aristotelian "substance") to "mind" (that which fundamental machine
> psychology presupposes) and thus eliminate "matter". But this seems to be
> possible only if fundamental machine psychology allows the existence of a
> single machine and thus a singular mind. I have tried to point out that
> this is exactly consistent with Tennenbaum's
> Theorem<http://web.mat.bham.ac.uk/R.W.Kaye/papers/tennenbaum/tennrosser>and
> tried to argue that this is a huge problem as it makes comp (or UDA)
> into a description of the psychology of a consistent solipsistic machine.
>     One possibility requires that we "relativize" countable models of PA
> using the non-standand arithmetics but in a way that perpetually "hides"
> the non-standard component, the constant, of the model from the machine
> itself. The inability for a computable model of consciousness to "know"
> which computations "it is", is an expression of this property, IMHO.

Stephen,

I'm not sure that there is any real disagreement between your view and
Bruno's.  It seems more to be a language thing, if anything.  When Bruno
refers to a physics, he means the appearance of a physical world from the
perspective of observers.  But observers never see a single "physical
world", they exist in and see an infinite number of interfering (physical
worlds / dreams of numbers).  I sympathize with your view that many (most?)
observers exist in larger mathematical structures that contain multiple
observers, but I don't see that this invalidates step 8.

You say "one that is not ontologically primitive, but to demand this is to
also demand that arithmetics and numbers are not ontologically primitive as
well."

Do you agree that at least something has to be ontologically primitive?  If
so, what do you think that something is?  You referred to something that
has no innate properties, but I don't find much explanatory power in that.

Jason