From: Platonist Guitar Cowboy
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-08, 11:58:53
Subject: Re: On Zuckerman's paper

Hi Stephen, Bruno, and Jason,

Do I understand correctly that comp requires a relative measure on the set of
all partial computable functions and that for Steven "Both abstractions, such
as numbers and their truths, and physical worlds must emerge together from a
primitive ground which is neutral in that it has no innate properties at all
other that necessary possibility. It merely exists."

If so, naively I ask then: Why is beauty, in the imho non-chimeric sense posed
by Plotinus in Ennead I.6 "On Beauty", not a candidate for approximating that
set, or for describing that "which has no innate properties"?

Here the translation from Steven MacKenna:

http://eawc.evansville.edu/anthology/beauty.htm

Because, what drew me to Zuckerman was just a chance find on youtube... and
seeing "Infinite descending chains, decorations, self-reference etc." all tied
together in a set theory context, I didn't think "Wow, that's true" but simply
"hmm, that's nice, maybe they'll elaborate a more precise frame." I know,
people want to keep separate art and science. But I am agnostic on this as
composing and playing music just bled into engineering and mathematical
problems and solutions, as well as programming and the computer on their own. I
apologize in advance, if this is off-topic as I find the discussion here
fascinating and hate interrupting it.

Mark