Actually all string theories are based on an n dimensional manifold
where n may be anywhere from 9 to 26 or more dimensions
plus the assumption that all the dimensions but 3 compactify.
I even think of time as a compactified dimension.
Not sure if that's consistent with Relativity.

Theories that require collective illusion are not attractive to me.
Richard