On 10/25/2012 2:21 PM, Richard Ruquist wrote:
Actually all string theories are based on an n dimensional manifold
where n may be anywhere from 9 to 26 or more dimensions
plus the assumption that all the dimensions but 3 compactify.
I even think of time as a compactified dimension.
Not sure if that's consistent with Relativity.

If the temporal dimension is compactified we get strange effect but no relativity.

Theories that require collective illusion are not attractive to me.

I see it as a choice between collective illusion or blind faith in substances. Naive realism is nice but ultimately stultifying for any explanation of mind.Searle's lectures here <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi7Va_4ekko&feature=relmfu> are a valiant attempt to defend naive realism. Figure it out for yourself. ;-)

Richard