Free will is a bogus issue, something akin to asking
how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Why ? Because in biology at least, the will of any entity
only needs to carry out what the entity desires, to survive.
If it can't, the entity will die and not be tend to be reproduced.
Case closed.

If you accordingly include desire with will, then you have the
the more meaningful issue of self-determination,
meaning that the entity can determine and achieve
what it needs to survive. In philosophy, since ancient
times, this force to survive and actualize the entity's
possibilities (another term for evolution) is called
entelechy. So what I am saying is nothing new.

So it's of no consequence IMHO to question whether we have
free will or not. The proper issue to debate is whether
self-determination is possible.  By self I include everything inside
the entities' skin or shell.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
11/6/2012