From: Alberto G. Corona
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-06, 05:21:48
Subject: Re: WHY FREE WILL IS A BOGUS ISSUE

Roger:

That? right

The modern notion of free will is a nominalist one. It redefine free will in
physicalist terms, when in reality it was a realist question of whether
I have moral judgement between good and evil and either if I can choose between
them.?

Of course, in nominalist terms, good, evil morals etc have no meaning. So that?
why concepts like free will were reduced to physicalist terms- But these
redefintions, like the one of free will are in terms of physical laws is almost
meaningless and no doubt, self contradictory.

Other concepts, like ?ood, evil, morals etc, that could? be reduced, were
relegated to a individual irrational sphere. This is the era of the
false?ichotomy?etween is and ought. Because the most fundamental questions for
practical life were denied to rational discussion, they were delegated to
demagoges,
revolutionaries, and various kinds of saviors of countries and planets. ?he
results are the never ending waves of?otalitarianisms?ithin Modernity.

2012/11/6 Roger Clough

Free will is a bogus issue, something akin to asking
how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Why ? Because in biology at least, the will of any entity
only needs to carry out what the entity desires, to survive.
If it can't, the entity will die and not be tend to be reproduced.
Case closed.

If you accordingly include desire with will, then you have the
the more meaningful issue of self-determination,
meaning that the entity can determine and achieve
what it needs to survive. In philosophy, since ancient
times, this force to survive and actualize the entity's
possibilities (another term for evolution) is called
entelechy. So what I am saying is nothing new.

So it's of no consequence IMHO to question whether we have
free will or not. The proper issue to debate is whether
self-determination is possible. ?y self I include everything inside
the entities' skin or shell.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
11/6/2012