On 11/8/2012 10:22 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 08 Nov 2012, at 14:45, Stephen P. King wrote:

On 11/8/2012 6:43 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi meekerdb

So how does Platonia's perfect necessary classes restrain or
contain this world of contingency ? Or does it ?

Hi Roger,

That is exactly my question! How does Platonism show the contingent to be necessary? As far as I have found, it cannot show necessity of the contingent. In the rush to define the perfect, all means to show the necessity of contingency was thrown out. This is why I propose that we define existence as necessary possibility; we have contingency built into our ontology in that definition. ;-)

In which modal logic?

Hi Bruno,

Why is there a formal modal logic implied in my remarks? I do not think in a formal math form. I think visually and proprioceptively. Ideas have 'texture' for me. ;-) Good theories have a different 'feel' than wrong theories for me. Maybe this is just an intuitive form of thinking but it has served me well so far.

What you say directly contradict Gödel's theorem, which shows, at many different levels the necessity of the possible.

OK, I'll bite your metaphorical bait. What does Gödel's theorem tell us about the necessity of the possible at most ontologically fundamental level?

We even get that for all (true) sigma_1 sentences (the "atomic events in the UD execution) p -> []<>p,

Can you see that this is just a statement in a particular language? We should be able to refer to the very same ideas using different languages! Truth is, after all, independent of any particular representation! One thing: that "p -> []<>p" reads to me as "the necessary possible existence of p implies the existence of p". As to the idea of atomicity in the UD. I understand a bit how Pratt considers a logical algebra to be atomic, in that it cannot be reduced to a structure with fewer components and cannot have components added to it without altering its Satisfiability, but I do not know what 'atomicity' means to you.

that is the truth of p implies the necessity of the possibility of p,

I do not see that at all! The truth of p is in its referent, it is what p tells us that is True (or false) and I read the implication arrow in the opposite direction as you. Logical necessitation (the logical form of causality) looks at the antecedents and implicated precedents in its derivation. Logic does not and must not be considered to "anticipate" a truth. Truth is the end result of the process of logic, not its beginning.

with []p = either the box of the universal soul (S4Grz1), or the box of the intelligible or sensible matter (Z1* and X1*). The modal logics becomes well defined, and allows, in Platonia, all the imperfections that you can dream of (which of course is not necessarily a good news).

All of these claims are coherent only after we assume that we exist and can formulate theories. Comp floats high up in the Platonic realm on the support of all of the minds that believe in it.

--
Onward!

Stephen