Hi Bruno Marchal  

Plato says that we all live in a dark cave, seeing only 
shadows on the wall, eager to see the light outside.
So there is at least a duality which I call platonia (heaven) 
and contingia (earth). 

Platonia contains the necessary stuff, the dark cave we live in
contains the contingent stuff.


Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net 
11/10/2012  
"Forever is a long time, especially near the end." -Woody Allen 


----- Receiving the following content -----  
From: Bruno Marchal  
Receiver: everything-list  
Time: 2012-11-08, 10:22:14 
Subject: Re: Communicability 


On 08 Nov 2012, at 14:45, Stephen P. King wrote: 

> On 11/8/2012 6:43 AM, Roger Clough wrote: 
>> Hi meekerdb 
>> 
>> So how does Platonia's perfect necessary classes restrain or 
>> contain this world of contingency ? Or does it ? 
> 
> Hi Roger, 
> 
> That is exactly my question! How does Platonism show the  
> contingent to be necessary? As far as I have found, it cannot show  
> necessity of the contingent. In the rush to define the perfect, all  
> means to show the necessity of contingency was thrown out. This is  
> why I propose that we define existence as necessary possibility; we  
> have contingency built into our ontology in that definition. ;-) 

In which modal logic? 

What you say directly contradict G?el's theorem, which shows, at many  
different levels the necessity of the possible. We even get that for  
all (true) sigma_1 sentences (the "atomic events in the UD execution)  
p -> []<>p, that is the truth of p implies the necessity of the  
possibility of p, with []p = either the box of the universal soul  
(S4Grz1), or the box of the intelligible or sensible matter (Z1* and  
X1*). The modal logics becomes well defined, and allows, in Platonia,  
all the imperfections that you can dream of (which of course is not  
necessarily a good news). 

Bruno 



> 
>> 
>> Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net 
>> 11/8/2012 
>> "Forever is a long time, especially near the end." -Woody Allen 
>> 
>> 
>> ----- Receiving the following content ----- 
>> From: meekerdb 
>> Receiver: everything-list 
>> Time: 2012-11-07, 13:19:38 
>> Subject: Re: Communicability 
>> 
>> 
>> On 11/7/2012 5:52 AM, Stephen P. King wrote: 
>> Again: we are still left without an explanation as to how the  
>> accidental coincidence of a Platonic Truth and an actual fact of  
>> the world occurs. 
>> 
>> Why do you write 'accidental'? Platonia is our invention to  
>> describe classes of facts by abstracting away particulars. 
>> 
>> Brent 
>> 
> 
> 
> --  
> Onward! 
> 
> Stephen 
> 
> 
> --  
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google  
> Groups "Everything List" group. 
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com. 
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com  
> . 
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en  
> . 
> 

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ 



--  
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group. 
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com. 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. 
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.

Reply via email to