On Nov 30, 2012, at 6:42 AM, "Roger Clough"<rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

Hi Jason Resch

What does physics (and multiple world theory) have to do with
emulating human thinking ? Physics is deterministic, human thought
is not.

Good question. Below I make the point that the observed laws of physics are dependent on the statistics of ones mind's numerous manifestations throughout reality. Physics is not at the bottom of the explanatory pyramid as is often believed. Instead the mind and theories of computation are at the bottom. This is what Bruno's Universal Dovetailer Argument shows. That a universal dovetailer (a program that runs all programs), or anything which cobtains one, such as arithmatical truth, becomes a practical theory of everything.

Jason

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
11/30/2012

From: Jason Resch
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-01, 17:19:07
Subject: Re: Against Mechanism

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote: On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> In most physics experiments, even very advanced ones at CERN, the experimenter himself is not duplicated so in the question "What particle do you expect to see?" it's clear who "you" is;

> Only if you assume that the universe does not contain Boltzman brains, or a universal dovetailer,

It doesn't matter if Boltzman brains exist or not. In physics experiments not involving self duplications which "you" is involved is obvious, and it can be proven to be correct by observing that when "you" predicts what "you" will see using physical laws the prediction usually proves to be true, so all the yous must have been assigned correctly.

Physics is all about predicting observations. � Let's say an experim enter creates a new kind of particle using an accelerator that has n ever before existed in the history of the universe, and wants to mea sure its half-life. 燦ow let's presume that in 999 out of 1,000 almos t identical standard models that exist in string theory, the half-li fe is 1 us. 燘ut in 1 out of those 1,000, the half life is 10 us.

If you are the experimenter what can physics tell you about the particle's half life? 營t is not implied by the laws of physics becau se there are many laws of physics. 燯ntil the experiment is performed , even the laws of physics are not in stone. 燭his is a main point of Bruno's result: physics is not at the bottom of the explanatory lad der, the laws of physics depend on the distribution of observers sim ilar to your current state of mind throughout its infinite manifesta tions in reality.

Jason
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com . To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .