Hi Bruno Marchal

I think the issue of your survival of the doctor's
operation or whatever is clouded by the
solipsism issue.  It should work, for better or
worse, as long as you can affirm  you have survived
by your subjective (1p) experience.

More comments are below, but that is the bottom line.

MORE COMMENTS:
I started looking at your comments on sane04,
recalling a comment made by Leibniz, namely
the question about what happens to your monad
if an arm is amputated ? Right after that, the arm is still
alive, I think it can be rejoined. Leibniz said (and I wish
I could remember exactly what he said) that your
monad--which is actually called "spirit" for a man
or monad with intellect-- will stay with your
intellect (or 1p), for that it is what defines you,
it is your identity. The arm will not share that monad
or soul while detached and so will shortly die.

This raises serious problems with the head/mind transplant
conjecture. According to L, I think I can say that it
wouldn't work. Your monad would stay with the amputated
head, and remain attached to or associated with it.
But the head or intellect will die for lack of fresh blood, etc.,
so the monad will remain attached to a rotting head.

Your soul is your identity. It stays with you, even though
you change through the years or while asleep during
an operation.  And even when you die. If your subjective
1p consciousness (your monad) survives, then "you" have survived the doctor's
alterations (either with digital hardware or signals) to your brain.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
11/3/2012