OOps#2: I would have to be a super-Gauss to explain the 12/17ary system.
The last time I really *studied* math-rules was in 1948, preparing for my
Ph.D. exam, - since then I only forget.

12/17 is surely a value, hopefully applicable in erecting a math-system,
like with "2" the binary, or with "10" the decimal. The rest is application
(ha ha). Ask the super-duper universal computer of yours.

Sorry for erring into such un-serious and un-scientific corners.

Have a good Christmas time

John
--------------------------

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi John,
>

> On 08 Dec 2012, at 21:32, John Mikes wrote:
>
> Bruno:
>
> how about expanding our closed (mathematical) minds into not only decimal,
> binary, etc., but also a (hold on fast!) 12/17ary number systems?
> in that case 17 would be non-primary, divisible by 2,3,4,6 besides the 1.
>

> I am not sure I understand what a 12/17 ary system. Thanks for using the
> base 10 for 12 and 17, at least.
>
> Just playing my mind on math. (You may have an even wider mind).
>

> Not sure.
>

> Also zero can be "thought of" in non-human logic as participant in
> calculations.
>

> The chinese makes them so, and basically all numbers, except 3, 4, 5, 6,
> .... were first seen as useful participants until we develop the axiomatic
> method where we can work on any system on numbers as long as we find some
> axioms making it possible to share the discoveries with others.
>

> John M
> PS: no response required indeed. My agnosticism at work.
>

> Oops! Too late :)
>
> Best,
>
> Bruno
>

> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>

>> On 07 Dec 2012, at 14:33, Roger Clough wrote:
>>

>>> Obviously, I meant the natural integers, not the natural numbers,
>>> whatever they be.
>>>

>> Natural numbers = the non negatiove integers: 0, 1, 2, 3, ....
>> or 0, s(0), s(s(0)), ...
>>
>> Bruno

>>> reality (not necessarily physical reality, except for observation and