On 12/15/2012 12:41 PM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Stephen P. King
As with Berkeleyism, Immaterialism denies the existence of matter.
Leibniz doesn't,  so I'll stick with Leibniz, whose metaphysics
is a double aspect type or close to that and was taken up
by Kant, also a double-sperspective type.  Modern neurophilosophy
is said to be essentially Kantian. Leibniz is close to
Kant in double aspect about a thing:
1) thing "in itself " as perceived mentally (as a monad) from your perspective as a phenomenon. 2) thing "for itself," as it actually is physically without a perspective (as a scientist would treat it)
For Kant, perception occurs through the joining of these two aspects.
So the thing isn't an illusion, or hallucination.
Any object as seen by you is only seen
phenomenologically, that is, "in itself", as  it appears in
your mind, from your perspective.  But as with
Kant, matter  it is not an illusion, it is a "for itself".
You can still perform precise experiments on the object.
So I can still stub my toe. I don't know about Bruno.

im·ma·te·ri·al·ism (m-tîr--lzm)
/n./
A metaphysical doctrine denying the existence of matter.
*imma·teri·al·ist*/adj.//& n./

immaterialism [??m??t??r???l?z?m]
/n/ /Philosophy/
*1.* (Philosophy) the doctrine that the material world exists only in the mind *2.* (Philosophy) the doctrine that only immaterial substances or spiritual beings exist See also idealism <http://www.thefreedictionary.com/idealism> [3]
*immaterialist* /n/

Hi Roger,

    Bravo! Nice post!

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net] <mailto:rclo...@verizon.net]>