Hi Craig Weinberg

What is wrong with making profits ?

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
12/19/2012

From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-18, 16:40:35
Subject: Re: clearing up the confusion on the fairness index

On Monday, December 17, 2012 8:02:12 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:
On 12/17/2012 5:11 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
> Taxing the rich does not redistribute the income, it adjusts the
> expenses so that those who benefit disproportionately from the public
> resources pay their share for an educated labor force, policed cities,
> well maintained roads, bridges, ports, airports, the grotesquely
> hypertrophied military to enforce monopolistic trade policies
> worldwide, etc.
Hi Craig,

     Could explain how it is that it is possible to "proportionally
benefit" from public resources? Are you saying that resources are the
natural property of the State and not of those willing to do the
investment of time and labor to exploit them?

In a democracy, they are the natural property of the taxpayers who pay for
their construction and maintenance. The Port of Los Angeles is not the property
of Onassis Shipping or whatever. If they are making hand over fist and bring in
a dozen more tankers a week - who pays for the extra staffing of that? Who pays
for the construction on the port to be upgraded. This is how corporations
remain so profitable - privatize profit and socialize cost.

     By my logic, if the taxes of the public where taken from individual
people, then the public resources belong proportionately to those
individuals that paid the taxes. This means that if Fred paid more taxes
than Albert then the public resources belong that much more to Fred than
Albert. Simple math... How do you calculate "benefit"?

It's easy to calculate benefit - you look at the books. You see how much more
money a corporation is making and how much more costs are incurred by the
government to underwrite that volume of gains.

     I don't understand the collectivization of people into equivalence
classes. Numbers are equivalence classes, not people! I am trying to
understand your thesis, not saying your wrong. ;-)

I'm open to being wrong, I just need to be pointed in the direction of a reason
why that might be the case.

Craig

--
Onward!