I do not intend to 'clear up' on a nonexisting "fairness Index".
Democracy is an oxymoron: NO CHANCE the  entire populace (demos) could
exercise governance-power (cratos). There is a COMPROMISE in voting: what
do I prefer to vote for from other goals I put temporarily to sleep - and
who is the 'candidate' lying (=campaigning?) exactly towards THOSE chosen
goals?
What makes a REPRESENTATIONAL RESPUBLIC in which the representants keep
their promises as it seems fit. To recall them? very rare.
It is still better than an autocratic dictature, religious, financial, or
political.

Now what is fair? an existing system produces values in different
proportions to different role-players. It is definitely NOT FAIR what the
ultra-wealthy pocket (- a question drawn here in a discussion group: who
are the ultra-wealthy? with an instant reply: whoever has more them
himself). Approaching fairness:
the values are used differently by diffeent segments of society, so should
be the burden of contribution (tax etc.) factored upon the 'pocketed'
(earned???) values to SUPPORT said beneficial values.
Low income local workers draw less from foreign
relations,transportation,finance,  banking, intricate law (legislation -
enforcement) perspective research projects, and a host of other topics
"rich segments" live on. So the latter should pick up a larger burden of
the expenses than the former, in all fairness.

I don't even 'touch' the (moral) aspect of social conscientiousness.

John M