On 1/2/2013 8:21 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
I forgot add that that's why Leibniz called this
"The best of all possible Worlds."

Why bad things happen to good people--Leibniz's Theodicy

.... As to tornadoes, there are various views, usually
part of "Theodicies". Here's the view I prefer, that of my
mentor, Leibniz, explained in his "Theodicy", which
Voltaire took up in his unfair and totally misinformed
criticism, the novel "Candide".

According to Leibniz, there are two forms of being, that
belonging to perfect, timeless, necessary reason, assigned to Heaven
or Platonia, and that of contingent, time-dependent and therefore
undependable reason and perfection (that down here, on earth).
Scientific theory deals with the former, where time is reversible,
and scientific experimentation, with the latter, done down here,
in the world, where time is not reversible.

Leibniz's view, in his theodicy , which I hold to also, is that
the world down here, that God created, is necessarily imperfect,
 so, as they say "crap happens". This is because things can't be good
everywhere at the same time. Thus evil and catastrophes are
probabilistic.

Leibniz's theodicy ior justification for God is that God, being good,
does the best that he can with the imperfect, partly evuil world
he has to work with. That is why pray for God to deliver us
from evil in the Lord's prayer. But we also say "thy will be done."

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net <mailto:%20rclo...@verizon.net>]
1/2/2013
Dear Roger,

Ultimately, all such measures are subjective, being the result of some arbitrary cut off here and boundary condition there. Most of all, the effects of the finiteness of our condition cannot ever be underestimated. One thing that Leibniz failed to comprehend is the cost of the perfect system that he attempted to construct. Voltair saw it but only as a weakness to lampoon Leibniz' with and not to correct, as he and the rest of the classicists where loath to give up the Assumption of the voyeuristic observer that can somehow see and measure all things. Hidden in their thinking was a need to morally justify the inequality between men that their system supported. We live in a world of costs and scarcity. There is no such thing as a free lunch, but if we work hard we can make a cheaper lunch. ;-)

--
Onward!

Stephen