On 1/2/2013 12:46 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:05:10 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

    On 1/2/2013 11:13 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

    On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:57:34 PM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

        On 02 Jan 2013, at 02:01, Craig Weinberg wrote:

        Chemotherapy Good or Evil?

        Better than nothing for most people having some disease.
        Worst than THC injection, plausibly for the same group of people.

        Here the Evil is only in the fact that minorities hides information
from the
        majority, and this for the minority's interests.
        This leads to harmful consequences for the majority.

        Bruno

    I was thinking more of how chemotherapy is ambiguous as far as it being
something
    which can enhance life by inevitably diminishing it, but sure, the politics
of it
    is an issue also.

    If I had to get into a definition of good and evil I would go more toward a
    political direction - senseless inequality of power tends to lead to
corruption and
    crime. Crime and corruption tends to lead to scapegoating or a misuse of
sense. The
    combination of corrupt actions and distortion of truth to cover them up is
probably
    as close to evil as I can think of.

    Anything that causes great net suffering of people can be considered evil:
cancer,
    small pox, AIDS, tsunamis,...  I see no reason to limit it to
social/political causes.

Do you think that viruses and tsunamis are well served by the label 'Evil'?

?? I'm not interested in serving them. Values are human values and each person has his own - although there is a lot of consistency. I think society and individuals are well served by labeling some viruses and tsunamis as 'evil' because that means we should cooperate to mitigate them. And in fact we have: We eliminated small pox. We created a tsunami warning system. Actions I count as good.

Brent
Unfortunately it is the prerogative of evil that to seem so is to
be so.
      --- Bertrand Russell