On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:08:41 AM UTC-5, telmo_menezes wrote:

> In my opinion, good and evil are just names we attach to brain processes
> we all have in common. These brain processes make us pursue the best
> interest of society instead of our own self-interest. I believe they have
> two main sources:

Good and evil aren't just oriented toward self vs society. Adopting a child
is good for society, but torturing them in a dungeon for their entire life
is intensely evil regardless of the negligible impact on society.

> 1) Biological evolution. In the long term, the DNA of the species as more
> chances of thriving if the individuals are altruistic to a degree. The
> exact mechanism here is debatable, it could be kin-selection (affinity for
> people with similar DNA) or group-selection, which is more controversial.
> There is some compelling evidence to support this theory. Social insects
> are extremely altruistic, and at the same time social insect females share
> more DNA than most animals. Another clue that this is correct comes from
> experimental psychology: we tend to associate physical beauty with goodness
> and different races with evil.

Good does not always equate with altruism. A scientist need not intend to
sacrifice himself for the good of the world in order to create something
'good'. We can present an example for 'good' simply by taking care of
ourselves in a graceful way, being productive, smart, respectful, etc. Any
admirable quality can be 'good' without requiring an individual to
sacrifice their own interests to the group or species.

> 2) Social constructs created to address the prisoner's dilema: for a
> society to thrive, a certain level of altruism is necessary. From the
> individual's point of view, however, it is irrational to be altruistic to
> that degree. The solution: tell people that they're going to hell if
> they're not good (or some variation of that theme). Religions have a
> positive impact in our species success, and their main job is to solve the
> prisoner's dilema. They are, nevertheless, a ruse.

You don't need religion to do that. Nationalism and Capitalism work just as
well.

> All attempts to define "good" and "evil" as a fundamental property of the
> universe that I've seen so far quickly descend into circular reasoning:
> good is what good people do, good people are the ones who do good things.
>
> Interestingly enough, left-wing atheists end up being similar to the
> religious: they believe in a base line level of altruism in human beings
> that is not supported by evidence.

I have never met any left-wing atheists who have beliefs in altruism or
utopia. Mainly progressives see that left to their own devices, the
powerful will tend to abuse their position and the quality of life for the
average person will drop...which is supported by evidence.

Craig