On 09 Jan 2013, at 18:56, Richard Ruquist wrote:

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 09 Jan 2013, at 16:17, Richard Ruquist wrote:

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 09 Jan 2013, at 12:35, Richard Ruquist wrote:

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 5:09 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 08 Jan 2013, at 15:59, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

Whoever invented the word "God" invented atheism.

Not necessarily. The modern notion of God comes with the platonist, and
was
almost a synonym with "truth". There was an implicit, but reasonable assumption, that humans search truth. Atheism has arised by reaction to *imposed* notion of God, and, unfortunately, throws the "theology" baby
with
the clerical bath water.
Before, God was a scientific hypothesis, more or less equivalent with
the
idea that there is a reality which transcend us.

Agreed but your next statement is too restrictive in my opinion unless you mean experimental proof. For sure there is arithmetic proof that
goes beyond experimental proof in scope.

I prefer to keep the term "proof" in the strong logician's sense (formal
or
informal).
I would talk only on experimental *evidence*.

You are right that proof usually can go much farer than any evidence. We
know that there is a prime number bigger than 10^10000, but have no
experimental evidences at all for that!

But I am saying something stronger: that many arithmetical truth are just beyond proof (not just beyond experimental evidence). The simplest one is the consistency of PA, which is true but impossible to be proven by PA.
Note
that by the *completeness theorem* (Gödel 1930), consistency is
equivalent
with "having a model", or having a (mathematical) reality satisfying the axioms. Self-consistency is already an assertion, made by some machine,
that
there is a transcendental (with respect to that machine) reality.

Agreed, and I hope that truth is true .

Lol.

Can we say that physical particles are often localised volumes
that are full of "infinities of discrete number relations"

Sounds to much physicalist for me (or comp).

and that a "flux density of infinities" can flow between them.
Or is that overboard?

If not taken literally, it can perhaps help. But there is a risk of reifying the particles, or of interpreting the "flux densities of infinities" in a
too much materialist sense.

But Bruno, you just said that matter came from
"infinities of discrete number relations"

The appearance of matter comes from infinities of discrete number relations.
Those appearances themselves are like continuous dream.

If you compensate with "matrix-" or "simulacron"-like illustration, that
will be OK. You need to get the familiarity with the idea that those
infinities of computations exists in arithmetic, and that it becomes "matter appearances" only from the "number's pov" as distributed on the whole UD* or
(sigma_1) arithmetical truth.

I can find that rather weird too. In the beginning I thought that this was just some steps toward a refutation of comp, but like with the Gödelian argument against mechanism, when made precise enough, the machine turns such
argument in favor of comp.

I would never have found comp plausible if there were not the strong
evidence given by Gödel's theorem, Church thesis and QM. And of course, *many* problem are far from being solved (to say the least), but at least we
have the tools to formulate them precisely.

Bruno

Are you granting that QM laws are
arithmetic theorems on the level
as those of Godel and Church?

Yes. (I will be explicit on FOAR, on this). But everything is explained on the sane04 paper. The arithmetical quantization is given by []<>p , with []p = Bp & Dt, with D = ~B~, and B = Gödel's *arithmetical* beweisbar (provability) predicate.
An arithmetical version of a Bell inequality is

[]<>([]<>A & []<>B) ->[]<>([]<>A v []<>B) & ([]<>A v []<>C)

So you can argue from them
like they were axioms?

Yes. All formula are theorem in Löbian (enough rich, like PA or ZF) arithmetic, from the classical definition of knowledge, that we recover by using Theatetus'definition of knowledge in the arithmetical setting (with believable = provable, which makes sense for the ideally correct machine that we have decided to "interview").

Bruno

Richard

Richard
points and lines
word geometry?

Richard

Bruno

Richard

By definition it cannot be
proved to exist, not even named. Exactly like "arithmetical truth" has
appear for any sound machine.

Bruno

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/8/2013