From: Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Jan 11, 2013 5:17 pm
Subject: Re: HOW YOU CAN BECOME A LIBERAL THEOLOGIAN IN JUST 4 STEPS.

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM, <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

In a message dated 1/11/2013 2:27:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jasonre...@gmail.com writes:

1) Choose some religion, it doesn't matter which
2) Find an idea some adherents of that religion put forward but almost no one
seriously believes in or is easily shown to be inconsistent
3) Assume that because you have disproved one idea of one religion that all
ideas found in all religions are false and/or unscientific
4) Bask in the feeling of superiority over those who are not so enlightened

Jason

Ok, so in Darwinian fashion you sort through hundreds of faiths, so what
happens when you cannot dissprove a religion? You sort them down till you hit a
toughie, does that make it automatically correct, or is it the intellectual
limitation of the sorter? Your Basking, is angering many non-believers, even.
Witness Higg's criticism of Dawkins. Believers, Jason, I suppose will merely,
pray for your soul (poor lad!).

Perhaps if you decided to create your own religion, that couldn't be disproved,
based on physics, or math, you would be coming up with the best faith? Then we
could all be converted to being Jasonites. Or Reschers-whichever you prefer?

I'm nor sure I understand your point.  My point was only that John's adherence
to atheism, which he defines as belief in no Gods, is less rational than
someone following his 4-step program to become a liberal theologian.

In particular, it is the above step 3, rejecting all religious ideas as false
without giving the idea a fair scientific evaluation, which is especially
problematic.  John is perhaps being prescient in turning a blind eye to these
other ideas, as otherwise we might have the specter of a self-proclaimed
atheist who finds scientific justification for after lives, reincarnation,
karma, beings who exercise complete control over worlds of their design and
creation, as well as a self-existent changeless infinite object responsible for
the existence of all reality.

He would rather avoid those topics altogether and take solace in denying
specific instances of inconsistent or silly definitions of God.

Jason