On 1/12/2013 3:44 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 12 Jan 2013, at 07:00, John Clark wrote:

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com <mailto:jasonre...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    > He [me] would rather avoid those topics altogether and take solace in
denying
    specific instances of inconsistent or silly definitions of God.

All I ask is a definition of God that has 2 attributes:

1) It is not silly or inconsistent.

You ask already a lot.

2) There is no other word except  G-O-D that works as well.

And when 99.9% of the religious use the word "God" they mean a omnipotent omniscient being who created the universe,

I am not sure of that. Even restricting ourself to Abramanic religion. The beliefs are quite variate on this.

Here's the statement of the Southern Baptist Convention, the largest protestant sect in the U.S.

-------------
There is one and only one living and true God. He is an intelligent, spiritual, and personal Being, the Creator, Redeemer, Preserver, and Ruler of the universe. God is infinite in holiness and all other perfections. God is all powerful and all knowing; and His perfect knowledge extends to all things, past, present, and future, including the future decisions of His free creatures. To Him we owe the highest love, reverence, and obedience. The eternal triune God reveals Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence, or being.

God as Father reigns with providential care over His universe, His creatures, and the flow of the stream of human history according to the purposes of His grace. He is all powerful, all knowing, all loving, and all wise. God is Father in truth to those who become children of God through faith in Jesus Christ. He is fatherly in His attitude toward all men.
---------------

Or see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attributes_of_God_in_Christianity

and

http://preceptaustin.org/notes_for_attributes_of_god_%28ii%29.htm

Brent
"Those who object to the punishment of heresy are like dogs
and swine,"
      --- John Calvin

Bruno

and when non-religious people say they believe in God they mean they believe in the word G-O-D and that's it.

  John K Clark

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ <http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/%7Emarchal/>

No virus found in this message.