On 1/13/2013 3:13 AM, meekerdb wrote:
Nearly all scientists would agree that the material identity is not important to continuity of consciousness. Therefore any time the appropriate instantiation arises, consciousness can continue. In an infinitely large and varied reality (Platonism, QM, infinite hubble volume, or eternal inflation), our patterns continually reappear.

That would imply that copies of one's soul exist. But John defined souls as being impossible to copy.

I disagree, if we bet on comp there is only one soul, just infinitely many 'versions' or 'projections' of it. Consciousness is the 1p associated with the local version, IMHO, unless we allow for 1p that contain experiences that are mutually contradictory.