On 12 Jan 2013, at 19:54, John Clark wrote:

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any definition of "soul" you agree with?

Strangely enough there is, the soul is the essential must have part of consciousness, therefore I think that Information is as close as you can get to the traditional concept of the soul and still remain within the scientific method.

Hmm... Why just information. Then information is quite physical for some physicists (like Landauer, Deutsch, ...).

Consider the similarities:

The soul is non material and so is information.

And so are numbers.

It's difficult to pin down a unique physical location for the soul, and the same is true for information.

Like numbers, and digital machine (in the Church Turing sense).

The soul is the essential, must have, part of consciousness, exactly the same situation is true for information.

I am not entirely sure of this, and I don't even think this is an easy matter to decide.

The soul is immortal and so, potentially, is information.

Hmm... in some non interesting sense.

I prefer to define information by what the soul get in a duplication experience. The soul is the knower. That is something obeying at least to S4 modal logic. We get one by applying the most standard definition of knowledge (true belief) when modeling belief by machine provability.

They might be better theory, but this illustrate that there are less flat notion of soul in computer science than just information (which is a mud term, with some precise technical definitions, very often abused, also).

 But there are also important differences.

 A soul is unique but information can be duplicated.

Excellent point. That why the soul is more the point of you of the information receiver (1 or 0, W or M), than the information itself. Your body is duplicable, but your first person pov does not duplicate in the process.

The soul is and will always remain unfathomable,

In which theory? In all theories. That looks like "Heavier than air will never fly".

but information is understandable, in fact, information is the ONLY thing that is understandable.

Hmm... You have a flattening conception of cognitive and computer science. Or you are just playing with the word, and jump from information to information content.

Information unambiguously exists,

Hmm... OK.

I don't think anyone would deny that, but if the soul exists (as distinct from information) it will never be proven scientifically.

Honestly, this will depend of the theory. With the Theaetetus' definition of the knower, and Plotinus/Brouwer definition of the soul: it is a theorem that all Löbian machine have a soul. Like they have intelligible matter around them, and sensible one too.

Bruno

  John K Clark